Rajasthan | c.1880

 

Made in the Jeypore School of Art, Jaipur, after one of the pupils of Bhola the chief artist of Delhi fritware introduced the technique. As the pieces were made of a mixture of feldspar and starch they could not be thrown on a wheel but were either raised by hand or shaped in a mould. This water ewer closely resembles those produced in the Ayoubid sultanate.

 

The jar has a swelling body rising out of a flared foot and a short neck and long arched spout. The body has painted white floral sprays delineated in blue against a turquoise ground set within cusped arches framed in rectangular compartments. Above is a ribbon band and one of inverted acanthus leaves and below two further bands of leaf motifs in geometric form. A similar piece resides in the Victoria and Albert Museum ceramics collection.

 

Height 29cm  x  Diameter 13cm

£290